I wrote an article a while back for Bush’s Bean’s Around the Table campaign where I expressed that “mealtime doesn’t have to be challenging, nor does it have to be boring. Sometimes, just making simple modifications to the meals kids already love helps open up a plethora of new dining options for everyone to enjoy.” Last night was one of those nights.
I was tired and cranky. My kids were tired and cranky. I didn’t have any desire to spend too much time in the kitchen preparing dinner. I wanted something simple that I knew my kids would like (because frankly, I couldn’t deal with any whines or grimaces regarding the menu selection). I found a recipe in Mom’s archives that was the perfect solution: Savory Chicken Crescent Roll Ups – consequently, I never remember eating this as a kid. Similar to the Chicken and Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups, this recipe combines all the ingredients my kids love: diced white meat chicken, cream cheese and crescent rolls. I guess if I had to drill these Chicken Crescent Roll Ups, they’re essentially Baked Chicken Salad Pockets. You’re really just stuffing homemade chicken salad into crescent roll dough and letting them bake to perfection.
As predicted, my kids loved this meal (an interesting variation on the classic chicken salad sandwich). These roll ups bake into nice square “presents” that are perfect single-serve offerings. With the addition of some melted butter basted on top butter and Panko bread crumbs, there’s a nice little crunch to compliment the warm soft chicken filler. And, “filler” is the operative word. My kids were soo full from one serving, there wasn’t even a request for dessert.
So, next time you’re anticipating a potential meal crisis, try these roll ups. You can’t go wrong.
Savory Crescent Chicken Squares
- 1 – 3 oz. package cream cheese (soft)
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cup cubed chicken (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimento (I omitted)
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 1 – 8 oz. package crescent rolls
- panko breadcrumbs
- Blend cream cheese and 2 tablespons butter (save 1 tbsp) until smooth.
- Add next 6 ingredients. Mix well. Separate dough into 4 rectangles.
- Firmly press perforations to seal. Spoon ½ cup chicken mix into center of rectangles. Pull 4 corners of dough to top and twist and seal edges. Brush tops with reserved butter. Dip in crouton crumbs.
- Bake on un-greased cookie sheet 350 degrees 20-25 minutes.
Juice from chicken can be used with a chicken bouillon cube and thickened with flour. Season to taste. Spoon over as gravy.