We’re thrilled to have our resident soup expert, Seriously Soupy (aka Serena), reveal her latest original soup recipe: Pesto Cauliflower Carrot Soup.
With Serena’s help over the past few years, we’ve come to learn that there’s nothing you can’t do with soup! With some creativity and very few ingredients, you can make the most wonderful tasting recipes at very little cost. Serena herself has recipe-tested and penned a catalog of over 100 soups and has taught soup classes and given tours. So, if anyone knows soup, it’s Serena!
Here’s what Serena has to say about her latest creation:
My family and I recently started planting some herbs since it is finally getting warmer outside. I was thrilled to have a more economical way to use fresh ingredients in my soups as well as the opportunity to test them out in this Pesto Cauliflower and Carrot Soup. I added in some fresh lemon thyme, rosemary, and sage as well as some samples of Garlic Gold that I had, minced garlic, onions and a small amount of salt and pepper. I also added in some pesto (pre-made) that we had around the house to create a peppery and distinct flavor to this minimal but super tasty spring soup.
- 2 cups of water or vegetable broth
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and cut up
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced and cut up
- ½ teaspoon of Garlic Gold
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2-3 carrots, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of pesto
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh lemon thyme
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh sage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour water into a medium-sized pot and let boil on a low flame.
- Cut up the onions and garlic and add them to the pot, along with the fresh herbs and Garlic Gold. Let boil.
- Cut up the cauliflower and carrots and add them to the pot.
- Cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the pesto, salt and pepper and stir.
- Turn off the flame and blend the ingredients together with a hand blender until you reach desired consistency.