Memorial Day is the kick-off to summer which means, if you have a grill, hopefully it’s been prepped for months of extended use.
Living in the city we obviously don’t have the luxury of walking out in our backyard to fire up the grill. However, when we venture outside the concrete jungle, we almost always opt for any meat and veggies that have been prepped on a grill.
For the novice grillers out there, I’m thrilled to have received some best grilling tips from the myriad food-related events along my journey with My Judy the Foodie :
- Steak should be at room temp to ensure optimum grilling.
- Just before grilling, pat steak dry, brush with a light coating of olive oil and season as desired.
- Add salt no more than 2 minutes before grilling to avoid drying out of meat.
- Always wait for the grill to reach medium heat as opposed to high heat to avoid charring your meat.
- Never cut into a steak on the grill. Use your finger to test its doneness.
- You should work on a clean grill grate that has been oiled with canola oil.
- Flare ups are a big part of grilling!
- Once off the grill, allow your steaks to rest before cutting. That’ll keep all the juices inside.
I also managed to pick up key information on the different varieties of steaks:
T-Bones – Good for those who want the best of both worlds in a steak—New York Strip and Tenderloin. They’re best grilled to take on bold flavors.
NY Strip – Otherwise known as the Steak Lover’s Steak. It’s got great flavor and tenderness and can be cooked in any manner.
Filet – Cut from the tenderloin….the most tender cut of steak.
Rib Eye – Most popular steak because it’s LOADED with flavor. It’s best grilled and remains tender through medium to medium-well.
Top Sirloin – Best for cookouts because of its unique flavor and tenderness. It can be grilled, broiled, sautéed or pan-fried.
Today my family enjoys cooking out on a gas grill, but the smell of the charcoal burning and the sounds of the steaks sizzling these past two days brought me back to many a sultry summer night of my youth. Mom (not Dad) would be out in the back yard manning the little round Weber grill overflowing with steaks and Silver Queen corn. Boy do I miss those days…
So, shouldn’t everyone kick off the summer grilling season right? It’s time to get your grill on! Enter to win:
Chef Master 19-Piece BBQ Tool Kit & Bobby Flay’s Grill It Giveaway
The Chefmaster 19 Piece BBQ Tool set puts you in a category above any other. The unique pieces including 8 corn cob holders, 4 skewers,grill cleaning brush/scraper, basting brush fork with 3 prongs, spatula with built-in bottle opener knife and tongs. The wood grain on the handles and handy hang-up feature are an added plus. All pieces fit in the special handled carrying case so you can take them with you on camping trips or wherever your grilling needs take you.
Bobby Flay’s Grill It book contains 150 simple and delicious recipes organized by ingredient, with chapters covering juicy beef steaks and succulent shrimp, of course, as well as perhaps less traditional grill fare such as asparagus, fruit, lamb, scallops, potatoes, and squash, so you can expand your backyard repertoire. Bobby teaches you how to grill each staple perfectly while also offering an arsenal of ideas for how to transform your favorite ingredients into something inventive and satisfying.
One (1) winner will receive a Chef Master 19-Piece BBQ Tool Set & a copy of Bobby Flay’s Grill It book.
How to Enter
To enter to win, simply leave a comment in the post letting telling me what you’d like to make on the grill this summer. That’s it! You’re entered to win!
Additional (Optional) Entries
To up your chances of winning, you can receive up to FOUR additional entries to win by doing the following (these are optional, not required):
1. Subscribe to My Judy the Foodie by RSS. Come back and let me know you’ve subscribed in an additional comment.
2. Become a fan of My Judy the Foodie on Facebook. Come back and let me know you became a fan in an additional comment.
3. Follow My Judy the Foodie on Pinterest. Come back and let me know you’ve followed in an additional comment.
4. Follow @myjudythefoodie on Twitter. Come back and let me know you’ve followed in an additional comment.
The Fine Print
Deadline: Friday, June 3rd, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.
Winner: A winner will be chosen at random using Random.org and announced at the top of this post. The winner will also be notified via email and the My Judy the Foodie fan page on Facebook; if the winner does not respond within 48 hours, another winner will be selected.