It’s frigid here in the northeast. Therefore my quest for comfort food has become dire. I love this breakfast Egg Casserole recipe from Mom’s collection. You heard right, a casserole for breakfast time, not dinner. It makes sense as breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Why not serve a hearty dish to kick of the long day?
Mom’s Egg Casserole is as simple as it sounds– baked eggs in a dish. But, what makes it tastier than a simple egg dish is the addition of the cheese croutons, shredded cheddar cheese and cooked bacon. These ingredients provide a nice variety of taste and texture to the somewhat bland egg base. When soaked with the egg, the croutons become soft and sponge-like, creating the binding ingredient to the dish.
After only 10 minutes of preparation and 1 hour of baking, a beautiful and colorful casserole dish will grace your table to provide some much-needed diversity to your breakfast repertoire! And, in our case, our dinner repertoire too–Wednesday night is Breakfast-for-Dinner-Night!
So, the next time you find yourself defaulting to the pre-packaged instant oatmeal to warm your belly, whip up some egg casserole.
You won’t regret it, and neither will your family.
- 1 bag cheese croutons
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- pinch of pepper and onion powder
- 6 piece bacon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Layer 1 cup of cheese croutons in the bottom of a greased 9x9 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese on top croutons.
- Mix together eggs, milk, salt, mustard, pepper and onion powder in a bowl.
- Pour mixture over top croutons and shredded cheese.
- Cook 6 pieces of bacon on the stove top.
- Crumble bacon pieces on top casserole.
- Bake in oven for approximately 1 hour.