Author: Adapted from Chow
Serves: 6-7 servings
Delicious hearty beef chili.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 5-6medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1-2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and bell pepper, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin, stir to coat the vegetables about 1 minute. Add the ground beef and measured salt and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the beef is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, and beans, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Taste and season with salt.