When I’m in a pinch for green side for a meal, I go to broccoli. Usually it’s served sautéed with some olive oil, sea salt and a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese.
During the dog days of summer, cool broccoli for crunch in a salad definitely sounds more appealing than some warm sautéed broccoli.
Fresh chilled broccoli salad is an ideal side to any lunch picnic or dinner. With raisins, raw broccoli, BACON, some red onions and a bit of mayonnaise, it satisfies all the taste buds and more! And, it tastes just as good the following day.
The confluence of the sweet, salty, creamy flavors is insane.
Just another side dish add to your repertoire. Feel free to experiment with other vegetable additions and share here.
Summer Broccoli Salad
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1/2 pound center cut bacon
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Cook bacon over medium high heat until browned. Cool and crumble into small pieces.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces and dice the red onion.
- In medium bowl, combine the broccoli and onion mixture with the bacon, raisins, cranberries and set aside.
- In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar.
- Toss over top the salad until all the ingredients are coated with dressing.
- Let salad chill at least one hour before serving.