My kids know how extremely lucky we are.
Three days later, we’re still incredulous as we watch footage of the mass devastation from Hurricane Sandy in towns not far from here.
Just a few block south we have many friends and neighbors still without power, evacuated from buildings, suffering major loss from the floods.
While most of the stores are beginning to resume their natural course of business, many are still functioning on skeleton hours with shoe string staff. Even though we know we were spared, nothing seems normal.
Throughout the days, my kids have been watching the news coverage from Hurricane Sandy. I’m sure they can’t comprehend most of what they’re watching. I can’t. Everyone is off-kilter.
We’ve eaten every meal together inside our apartment for the past 4 days. When there’s limited access to markets and fresh food, it’s hard not to default to dry carbs like pasta and pizza and rice. So, I’ve had the slow cooker working overtime, trying to diversify our meals while adding in some protein here and there. From Slow Cooked Coconut Curry Chicken to Baked Apples to Slow Cooked Beef Tips, we’ve had some nice variety.
There’s something very comforting about those simple, fresh flavorful smells wafting from the crock. And, the finished dishes are hearty and delicious, bursting with bold flavors, begging to be eaten.
It’s an understatement to say mealtime has become especially sacred these past few days. Not only because we actually have POWER and CAN COOK, but because it’s our time to sit down together, express our concerns and hopes for our friends and family, all while enjoying some nourishing food.
This recipe for Slow Cooked Beef Tips, like all the slow cooker recipes, is hassle-free, requiring no culinary skill at all.
Just let the crock do all the work. (if you don’t have a crock pot, you can purchase one at the My Judy the Foodie store, where a percentage of the proceeds will go to the Breast Cancer Research Association of America).
Slow Cooked Beef Tips
(adapted from slowandsimple.com)
- 1/2 c Flour
- 1 ts Salt
- 1/8 ts Pepper
- 4 lb Beef or sirloin tips
- 1/2 c Chopped green onions
- 1/2 lb Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can beef broth, (10 1/2 oz.)
- 1 ts Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ts Tomato paste or ketchup
- 1/4 c Dry red wine
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1lb yolk-free egg noodles
- Combine 1/2 cup flour with the salt and pepper and toss with beef cubes to coat thoroughly.
- Place in crock-pot. Add green onions and drained mushrooms.
- Combine with beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste or ketchup.
- Pour over beef and vegetables; stir well. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 10 hours.
- One hour before serving, turn to HIGH setting. Make a smooth paste of red wine and 3 tablespoons flour; stir into crock-pot, mixing well.
- Pour beef mixture over top noodles and serve immediately.