Calling all broccoli lovers:
The other day I had a full head of broccoli that I needed to use before it started to turn. And, with Cinco de Mayo on my brain, I figured I’d try to make a nice dip for some blue corn tortilla chips.
My household is certainly obsessed with anything related to avocados (there’s always at least two ripening in a brown bag behind one of my cabinets) most importantly our famed recipe and video for Guacomole dip and our celebrated recipe for Baked Stuffed Avocados. But, a nice, cool low(er) fat fresh broccoli dip seemed like the perfect alternative.
As luck would have it, Mom had a Broccomole dip in her archives that was (like most) of her recipes, half faded, half complete. Similar to her other dips, this broccoli dip uses light cream cheese and or/sour cream.
If you’re looking for a guilt-free dip recipe requiring no culinary skill and minimal prep time, put this on your list. But remember, even though it looks like guacamole, it tastes all broccoli!
- 3 cups broccoli, cooked , chopped and chilled
- 1 jalapeno, chopped- no seeds
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 oz. fat free cream cheese or use 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 raw garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan, optional
- Blend (almost to a puree) all ingredients in a food processor until thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.